Leggings has a rich history and faced a significant evolution before it seized the front row in today’s fashion. Know about ten facts of leggings that you probably wouldn’t have imagined –
- In past, leggings was a unisex garment.
- In the beginning leggings was two separate garments – one for each leg.
- They were a leg covering that helped the people to prevent their legs from being chaffed by heavy cold and insects.
- It is said to have its origins in Scotland.
- They were basically worn as an armour by men in 14th century.
- The earliest form of today’s modern leggings wore by men were called “hose” !
- A form of leggings called “Pantalettes” was worn under skirts by 19th Century women, girls and small boys
- 19th century army men used leggings as a protective garment for ankles.
- From 1960’s the popularity of leggings revived and they were considered as more feminine garment.
- In 1980s and early 1990s, leggings was basically a part of garment worn under skirt or over-sized sweatshirts or baby doll top.