International Men’s day falls on 19th November. Though it had it’s beginning in 1999, India joined the initiative in 2007. The objective of celebrating the event is to focus on the rights, relations and equality of male gender.
According to the activists, there are six broad objectives for this initiative:
- To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sportsmen but everyday, working class men who are living decent, honest lives.
- To celebrate men’s positive contributions to society, community, family, marriage, child care, and to the environment.
- To focus on men’s health and well being; social, emotional, physical and spiritual.
To highlight discrimination against men; in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law.
- To improve gender relations and promote gender equality.
- To create a safer, better world; where people can live free from harm and grow to reach their full potential.
Apart from the broader objectives, the celebrations focus on a yearly theme. 2014 theme of International Men’s day is “Keeping Men and Boys safe”.
It is the right time we appreciate and show our love towards the men who were responsible for our better lives.
Huetrap takes this unique opportunity to celebrate manhood. Happy Men’s day.